"There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games"
The above quote was recently sent to me by my good friend Bob. It says so much with so little.
I received a text from my big brother the other day, after he saw a couple of these photos from a January attempt on GrayWolf.
"I'm so proud of you," he wrote.
He is one of the few that understands.
He understands the level of commitment required to try to tackle such a line.
The time, the effort, the repetitions.
The risk, the exposure, the uncertainty.
The inner need to overcome mental and physical challenge.
Thank you, my big brother.
A line like GrayWolf West intimidates me. It's one of the only lines I've had a as 'goal' for years, simply because of it's aesthetic value.
Once you’ve seen the mountain and its west couloir, you've inevitably felt its power.
Every step towards it seems an act of defiance. Defiant towards the part of your brain that’s evolved through generations upon generations of our species – the part that identifies danger and says, ‘you’re not really going to climb that, are you?’
Yet, step-by-step, you prove yourself wrong.
You give it your best shot, comprised of all that experience and all those repetitions.
But will that best shot be enough? It wasn’t that day, as firm and icy conditions prevented a full ascent/descent.
I’m glad it didn’t happen on my first try.
I’ll continue working towards my ‘best shot.’
(and a couple fun days below, spent popping pillow lines with the pooches in the Rattlesnake)
- Jun 17, 2018 the Monk in the Mountains Jun 17, 2018
- January 2018 2
- Nov 14, 2017 fall to winter 2017 Nov 14, 2017
- Oct 23, 2017 ooooo that feeling! Oct 23, 2017
- Sep 20, 2017 Reflections & Ruminations, Mt Adams Sep 20, 2017
- August 2017 3
- Mar 9, 2017 T.Rootin! Mar 9, 2017
- Feb 3, 2017 The Mighty GrayWolf West Feb 3, 2017
- Jan 25, 2017 italia, fino alla prossima volta Jan 25, 2017
- December 2016 2
- Apr 1, 2016 Weekends Like These Apr 1, 2016
- March 2016 2
- Feb 12, 2016 Fun in the 'Snake Feb 12, 2016
- January 2016 4
- December 2015 5
- November 2015 4